Does your employer have to provide your protective clothing?
  1. Home
  2.  → 
  3. Firm News
  4.  → Does your employer have to provide your protective clothing?

Does your employer have to provide your protective clothing?

On Behalf of | Dec 13, 2019 | Firm News |

Recently, you got your first job in the construction industry with a company in New York. You do not yet have protective clothing or equipment, nor do you know what type of equipment or clothing is best. When you do learn what you need, do you have to buy it, or should your employer provide it?

Chron examines the question so that you understand your responsibilities. In any case, the right equipment and clothing are essential to your safety.

Assessing the work environment

One of the first things you need to do is to assess the hazards in your work environment. Hazards that commonly require protective clothing and/or equipment include mechanical irritants, chemicals and radiation. When in doubt, know that your employer has to assess the workplace for such hazards, so you may want to ask about specific hazards of which you need to be aware.

Providing training and protective items 

OSHA has specific standards regarding personal protective clothing and equipment. What that boils down to is that depending on the hazardous conditions, it becomes the company’s obligation to provide protective garments and equipment for employees. Additionally, that clothing has to fit you, and you need training to understand how to properly use the equipment or clothing.

Paying for protective equipment or clothing 

Besides providing employees with proper clothing, your employer also has to pay for such clothing. That said, exceptions do exist. For instance, if your employer allows you to take home an item of equipment or clothing, you may have to foot the bill for it. Everyday protective equipment such as sunscreen, work boots and shades are something you have to pay for with your own money.

This information is only intended to educate and should not be interpreted as legal advice.